Employment Opportunities at St. James’
Position announcements will be posted here when they are available.
Youth Ministry Leader Position
Download the Youth Ministry Leader position description here.
St. James’ Episcopal Church in Potomac, Maryland is seeking a permanent, part-time Youth Ministry Leader for youth in grades 6-12.
This highly rewarding position encourages personal creativity to inspire our youth in their Christian growth and development. Completion of Diocesan training to prevent child abuse is required. Collaboration with regional churches is encouraged. Currently youth directors from several churches share responsibilities for joint activities.
The position schedule has seasonal fluctuations and is arranged with the rector with an average of 10 hours per week commitment. Hours vary throughout the year, with more hours during major events, such as mission trips typically in June, and fewer hours in the summer during July and August.
Annual Salary: Approximately $10,000 depending on level of prior experience.
Initiate and provide direction for all aspects of a parish program for middle school and high school youth that is compatible with the theology and tradition of the Episcopal Church. Duties include:
- Develop an annual plan and a proposed budget for youth activities, and provide vision for ongoing enhancement of the parish youth ministry.
- Initiate contact with all youth to encourage maximum participation in the youth program through a variety of media, including social media.
- Direct regular youth gathering(s), including all elements of the program (e.g., food, fellowship, facilities use and spiritual growth).
- Prepare lessons and plans for youth gatherings, including games, Bible lessons, spiritual and Christian growth opportunities, using multimedia tools as appropriate.
- With the rector, plan and implement an annual mission trip; includes all elements of the event, including transportation, lodging, financial management (including major fundraising), Christian education, and fellowship development.
- Plan and implement other special events, such as retreats, fellowship activities, field trips, etc.; planning includes all elements of the event, including transportation, lodging, financial management, Christian education, and fellowship development.
- Recruit, direct, and train (when required) sufficient appropriate adult leadership for all activities, including ensuring that all adult sponsors have participated in the required diocesan training to prevent child abuse.
- Model faithful, regular worship attendance at St. James’.
Application and Additional information
Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Youth Ministry Leader application” in the subject line, or by mail to:
Youth Ministry Leader Search Committee
St. James’ Episcopal Church
1815 Seven Locks Road
Potomac, MD 20854